The novelty and the fact that the Fosters are a family headed by a same sex couple , lesbians, is quickly pushed to the background because this new show on ABC Family has such depth in its writing. It appeals to universal real family themes. It is hard hitting without ever losing its heart.
It eloquently shows that while every family can be different , every family, where it counts, is very much the same. Here is an interracial family that has natural, adopted, and foster children. Most of the children are teenagers with all the issues that come with that. There is no Brady Bunch sugar coating here. However , there is definitely love with all the reality.
The level of acting chops is high with the ensemble cast to match the excellent script. The mothers played by Teri Polo and Sherri Saum are believable and also work with great chemistry Their characters , one a cop and one a school principal, show the working parent model with all the human frailties that come with it and how they make it through for their kids. They maintain control as parents , even if it takes time to discover some of the hidden issues of their children.
Danny Nucci as Mike Foster , the former husband of Teri polo’s character is also great.
What I Iove about the show is that is does not portray a perfect family. It does present a family that is ultimately bound by love even through the mistakes, hurt and arguments that occur. They are totally relatable as people.
Jennifer Lopez, who is executive producer of the show , has stated that her lesbian aunt was an inspiration for the show.
“I had an aunt who was gay. I lived with her and I loved her. She just passed away from cancer. I thought of her often when I was thinking about taking on this project and the prejudices that she faced.” – Huffington Post, Posted: 04/24/2013 4:53 pm EDT.
It is a show to watch.
- ABC Family’s ‘The Fosters’ Rises, ‘Switched At Birth’ Down In Season Return (m.deadline.com)
- ABC Family’s New Drama ‘The Fosters’ Examines Foster Care System (reellifewithjane.com)
- Exclusive: First Look at ABC Family’s The Fosters (shockya.com)
- Jennifer Lopez Discusses Her New Biracial Lesbian Drama for ABC Family (shoppingblog.com)
- Episode Review: THE FOSTERS (“Consequently”) (mralphafreak.wordpress.com)
- Jennifer Lopez brings ‘The Fosters’ to ABC Family (utsandiego.com)
- Jennifer Lopez Introduces TV’s Newest Modern Family With The Fosters (seattlepi.com)
- 2013 Pilots: THE FOSTERS (mralphafreak.wordpress.com)
- The Monday Playlist: Fosters, Mistresses, Teen Wolf, Revolution Finale (seattlepi.com)
- ‘The Fosters’ Series Premiere Recap: A New Addition Shakes Up The Family (hollywoodlife.com)