Last night, I watched the winter finale episode of Glee and was absolutely touched by the story line of the character , Dave Kurofsky, the attempted suicide of the closeted bully who came out. It was heart wrenching to watch him descend into a state of hopelessness after being attacked from all sides for being gay. It is sobering how many of us have been faced with the same harassment or worse, and have considered ending our lives.
It was wake up call not only to his character but also to his friends and family. Such questions as to who close to us faces such depression where checking out of life seems like the only option. It was one of the best episodes I have seen on Glee.
I have posted a Youtube video below of a young man who was outed by people he trusted. I felt he spoke with such conviction and courage. I hope he is surrounded by support and love. His life , like all others, is worth it.
As you think of what you just saw, I thought some of the behind the scenes comments of the actors of Glee about the suicide storyline really was relevant.
“For example, Ciara Thomas, a writer for the website HealthyPlace.com (“America‘s Mental Health Channel”) states that, “For a number of years, researchers have known that one-third of all teenagers who commit suicide are gay. In one sense, this statistic is incredibly shocking…This means that they are 300 percent more likely to kill themselves than heterosexual youth.”
“Indeed, that statistic has been widely repeated over the past few weeks, including by Unitarian Minister Debra Haffner in a piece published in the Washington Post a few days ago: “We have known for more than thirty years that at least one third of all suicides to teens are to gay youth,” Haffner told the newspaper.” – “Is There a Gay Teen Suicide Epidemic?”, Benjamin Radford, Live Science, 10 October 2010.”
- Glee: 03.14 (misskryzz.wordpress.com)
- Crystal Bell: Glee Recap: Rachel’s Wedding Leads To Shock Ending (huffingtonpost.com)
- Glee’s Max Adler Spills on One of the Series Most Shocking Moments Ever! – E! Online (uk.eonline.com)
- Glee’s Max Adler Spills on One of the Series Most Shocking Moments Ever! (eonline.com)
- Glee SPOILERS (tvhappyplace.com)
- The One in Which My Soapbox Gets in the Way (shamelesstv.wordpress.com)
- Gay Teen Commits Suicide One Month After Making “It Gets Better” Video (buzzfeed.com)