Joaquin Phoenix should be given accolades for his incredible performance in the movie Her. The film is set in the near future and follows the story of a letter writer who downloads the first OS intelligent software that is self aware. Theodore ( Phoenix) is at a low point in his life, tired of writing love letters for others at his job and still reeling from the break-up of his marriage.
The software that he downloaded engages him and immediately identifies herself as Samantha ( voiced by Scarlett Johansson). A relationship develops between the two. They fall in love.
In this era where most of us spend a great deal of time online interacting with each other and where software development is being tied to all our likes and lifestyles, the story line is believable.
Johansson, who we never see, musters great acting through her voice as the cyber identity, Samantha. Amy Adams also does a great job in her supporting role as Theodore’s human friend.
The movie is rich in developing themes that explores what make us human, what really is love and how we discover it in our lives even after a bad relationship.
The writing delivers a script filled with drama and humor. It is blended so well and the audience in my theater were totally engaged in the story shown by the reactions throughout the film.
Her is one of the best movies of the year and is a must see. I would not be surprised if the film and some of the key actors are recognized in this award season.
- Movie Review: Joaquin Phoenix courts his computer in the beguiling Her (avclub.com)
- Her (2013) (thegrandshuckett.com)
- Photos: ‘Her’ partners Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson (photos.mercurynews.com)
- Photos: ‘Her’ partners Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson (photos.newhavenregister.com)
- Photos: ‘Her’ partners Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson (photos.denverpost.com)
- Her (arielfisher.com)
- ‘Her’ is a sci-fi romance even your robot girlfriend will love (digitaltrends.com)
- Joaquin Phoenix makes a connection with ‘Her’ – USA TODAY (topbreakingnews.info)
- Her (21choices.wordpress.com)
- Amy Adams, Joaquin Phoenix About Heavy Sex and Friendship In “Her” (close-upfilm.com)