We continue to see Gay and more correctly LGBT rights progress in terms of the recent DADT repeal and the new federal regulations for visiting rights in hospitals to include non-discrimination based on sexual orientation.
We have seen LGBT artists and stories honored in film and art. We have seen states continue to implement marriage and domestic partnership rights. Anti-bullying laws and awareness programs are moving along rapidly.
Yes, progress is being made , and in some cases, in leaps and bounds.
However, we also see attempts by the opposition and the fundamentalists to continue usurp these efforts. For example, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-California, has introduced legislation to slow down the implementation of DADT. The bill is basically used as a way to slowly kill it. The rhetoric from the fanatical right continues to mix religious extremism with politics.
However, as we have recently celebrated Martin Luther King Day, it is a reminder that these forces against Human Rights and Equality will continue their efforts to thwart justice in their bigotry and blindness.
We shall overcome their hate and ignorance. Equality will be realized for all.
- Deggans, CNN, and Anti-Gay Activists (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Repeal of DADT Emphasizes Need for Federal LGBT Equal Rights (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Keli Goff: Would Dr. King Be Disappointed With America Today? (huffingtonpost.com)
- Karen Ocamb: Does Sen. John McCain Owe Gay Servicemembers an Apology? (huffingtonpost.com)
- Hillary Clinton Does ‘The Advocate Magazine’ (pinkisthenewblog.com)
- We’re still dreaming; IFI still acting like particularly atonal alarm clock (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Rep. Duncan D. Hunter Still Trying To Stop ‘Transgenders And Hermaphrodites’ From Serving (queerty.com)
- Christian leaders against deviant activists ‘hijacking’ Martin Luther King (wdtprs.com)
- Christian leaders rally against gay activists ‘hijacking’ Martin Luther King legacy (catholicnewsagency.com)
- Crunch time: Four weeks only (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Surprise, surprise – Rep. Duncan Hunter filing bill to halt implementation of DADT repeal (pinkbananaworld.com)
- DADT Myths: Attraction (vamortgagecenter.com)
- Will DADT’s Repeal Mend Obama’s Rift With LGBT Leaders? (theroot.com)
- Why are gays more eco-friendly? (grist.org)
- DADT Repeal is Important Civil Rights Milestone (redstateprogressive.com)
- Gay couple wins discrimination case against Christian hoteliers (guardian.co.uk)
- What’s your take on the film “Stonewall Uprising”? (pinkbananaworld.com)
- TX Gay Divorce, Gay Marriage in Maryland, Green LGBT, LGBT Museum and New Caucus Chair (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Agenda full for Houston gay rights caucus (chron.com)
- Grassroots Activists Fight to Decriminalize Being Gay in the Arab World (humanrights.change.org)