Something Borrowed is not set up to be a dramatic piece with a groundbreaking plot. It is a romantic comedy. It has all the formula you expect in such movies but I was surprised by some of the elements and consider it a likable entry to a season that produces a dozen or so of such films.
It is about two best girlfriends who like the same guy. One is set on marrying him and the other plays the one who always give in to the other one. Yes, we have all seen that plot line before. However, the movie has enough twists and comedic touch points that it is engaging. The characters are likable.
One particular standout is John Kransinski who plays Ethan and is the guy best friend and the voice of reason to main character , Rachel, played by Ginnifer Goodwin. I felt the chemistry between the two of them was the most palpable on screen. Kransinski also has the most strength comedy wise in his delivery.
The plot could have charted to a more realistic ending considering what kind of events that occurred in the lives of these people, but that would have been a different movie with no laughs at all. To true romantic comedy form it ends with some twists but you leave the theater with the expectant lightness of heart. Awww….
- Video: Pregnant Kate Hudson and Colin Egglesfield Talk Onscreen Chemistry (popsugar.com)
- “John Krasinski, Ginnifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson Star in â€˜Something Borrowedâ€™” and related posts (starmometer.com)
- ‘Something Borrowed’ premiere: Kate Hudson, John Krasinski, Ginnifer Goodwin get a little gushy [Video] (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Ginnifer Goodwin on Her Bond With Kate Hudson, Friend Breakups, and Life After Big Love (popsugar.com)
- Kate Hudson & Ginnifer Goodwin: ‘Something Borrowed’ Trailer! (justjared.buzznet.com)
- ‘Something Borrowed’ trailer: Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin are BFFs in love with the same man (insidemovies.ew.com)
- Kate Hudson Dresses Up Following Her Engagement Ring Debut! (popsugar.com)
- Marshall Fine: HuffPost Review: Something Borrowed (huffingtonpost.com)
- More Photos of Kate Hudson’s Fun-Filled Mexican Getaway With Matt and Ryder! (popsugar.com)
- Review: Give ‘Something Borrowed’ back (cnn.com)