I was recently reading some of the writings of the philosopher, Alan Watts and found some impact to my own life. He wrote and spoke about the need for us to really be engage in what we enjoy doing in life both in our work and in leisure. When we simply focus on money or the mundane tasks, we lose ourselves and consequently life is not about living anymore.
It took me some time to discover this in my own life. When I finally did, everything changed. At this stage of my life I am finally doing what I want to do in my work life and I am enjoying it. It is still unfolding in many ways. However, the truth of it fills my soul so I am totally engaged and loving what I do. It is the first time in my career that I am consistently enjoying my work day in and out.
The other thing that has happened is that this year, my personal life has finally come into alignment with what who I am internally. That sureness of self has opened to me the door the opportunity to really develop a long lasting relationship. It is already germinating.
This whole process (ongoing) has been so illuminating and freeing to me.
This path to be authentic to one’s self in one’s existence and life permeates into every aspect of your life as long as you allow it and nurture it.
Allan Watts said, ” This is the real secret of life – to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.”
- Alan Watts – The Real You – 11 January 2013 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- Be awesome: What If Money was no object – Alan Watts (iamcandicepeetz.wordpress.com)
- Music and Life – Alan Watts – YouTube (violinistzlata.wordpress.com)
- The Real You – Alan Watts (zengardner.com)
- Alan Watts: What if Money Was No Object? (video) (alexandrosmaragos.com)
- Alan Watts. A Fascinating Perspective. (energyoftheheart.wordpress.com)
- Alan Watts: What If Money Did Not Matter? (viralblog.com)
- Alan Watts Teaches Meditation- SHUT UP, AND MEDITATE! (Much from “You’re It!” by Alan Watts) (buddhistinsight.com)
- Alan Watts on Life and Music (jamieanderson.me.uk)
- Alan Watts (heartflow2013.wordpress.com)
Happy to see your focus on Alan Watts – thanks for the pingback 🙂
Thank you, heartflow.
Doing what you love as a profession isn’t always going to happen, but I agree with you and Watts. The philosophy isn’t that different than “all work and no play” and “everyone needs a hobby.” 🙂