Today, I reached a milestone in my life. I turned 50. Yes, I cannot believe it myself. However, my birth certificate says September 14, 1960. I am a Virgo ( whatever that means I really don’t follow that whole thing).
With the normal razzing of being over the hill or an old man, I have been shown an outpouring of love from friends and family. On paper I am divorced, gay, father of four, born a Catholic, converted to Mormonism and then exited it with my coming out.
I have lived a rich life. My three daughters and son are my life joined by two grandchildren. They are all healthy. One of my children is in college and one of them is preparing to get into school in the winter.
My personal life has seen a divorce from the woman who was my wife and mother to our children. I have had two gay partners after that ended.
Speaking of that, I recently ended an 11 year relationship with the love of my life. So I am still trying to figure out the whole relationship thing. Yes, even at 50 life throws you challenges of the heart.
Yet in composite, I am very happy with my life.
In the end, leading a happy life is what counts.
So Happy Birthday to me! I am looking forward to the next 50 years.
- Randi Small and Jen Schwartz: Need Proof There’s Life After Divorce? Just Ask Facebook (huffingtonpost.com)
- Dad’s bitter divorce papers come back to haunt Bullock (hollywood.com)
- âTil Divorce Do Us Part (lifescript.com)
- New Moon Giveaway for Virgos (auntiemoon.wordpress.com)
- Adjustment needed after long marriage ends (seattletimes.nwsource.com)