The Syfy channel‘s new drama, Being Human , about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost all struggling about their non-human monstrosities is more an allegory about ourselves as humans then anything else. The writing and the acting in this show is superb.
This show is based on the original that aired on the BBC network
What I love about it is that it is not so much about the supernatural as it is about the struggles of these individuals to be the best in their nature despite their natural inclinations to exhibit their monster selves. They all face Goliath challenges and they do not always win against them.
The writing in the show allows us to empathize with the lead characters and to hope for them to win. That is why when they don’t we naturally feel their disappointment. We also find some humor, like when one instance, for example, one of them organizes a neighborhood watch just to feel more normal.
Sam Witwer, who plays Aidan, does well as the handsome, tortured, vampire who has eternity to live and is tired of the cold bloodiness of his life and is in search for his soul. He basically wants to too stop his vampire life. His is in such an epic struggle and you see the agony in his being.
Sam Huntington, who plays Josh, is the most unlikely werewolf you ever meet. Socially awkward, Sam is so opposite his monster side, that the sadness of the battle is really laid bare in his struggle. There is one scene in which he his locked in the room with his sister and he has to call Aidan on his cell phone to get his sister out. He was on the verge of transforming into the werewolf and was afraid he was going to kill her.
Josh also provides the most comic relief on the show.
The beautiful Meaghan Rath plays Sally, who died a sudden death and is now a ghost. She struggles with her new status and the realization that her husband ( who now has rented their house to Aidan and Josh) is moving on and slowly forgetting her. She needs to find closure before the door to the next existence is opened to her. She really is the least monster, if that at all, of the three and perhaps will be the savior of sorts to the guys. We shall see as the story develops.
This is a must see show. One of the better written ones on the air today.
- Sam Witwer Exclusive Interview BEING HUMAN (collider.com)
- BEING HUMAN Series Premiere Review (collider.com)
- ‘Being Human’ Interview: Sam Huntington, Meaghan Rath, and EPs Jeremy Clarke and Anna Fricke (buddytv.com)
- Meaghan Rath Exclusive Interview BEING HUMAN (collider.com)
- Relocated to America, Still Bloodthirsty (tv.nytimes.com)
- ‘Being Human’ Series Premiere Recap (tvsquad.com)
- Being Human wallows in a pool of blood and shame, to our everlasting delight [Video] (io9.com)
- 1st look at Syfy’s ‘Being Human’ (chicagonow.com)
- “BEING HUMAN (Syfy) â€œThere Goes the Neighborhood (Part One)â€ Advance Review” and related posts (daemonstv.com)