Although Facebook did not remove a picture of a same sex couple kiss as originally reported, the protests including kiss-in’s and a deluge of countless same sex kiss pictures that were posted by FB customers showed the power of social media activism. It also shows that in our society we still have some ways to go before a same sex kiss does not cause such controversy.
As recently as a month a ago there was controversy over such a kiss on the popular prime TV series Glee. Homophobia continues to be a blight on this nation and rises to its highest offices. This battle for equality and societal change is still very real.
I especially like to reach out to the younger generation who have reaped the benefits of the activism of those who shouldered even heavier challenges and bigotry in the past. Learn that history and embody the lessons for the present. This is not the time to become complacent.
It is also not the time to become apathetic. The other side is not and they will continue to utilize propaganda and any disinterest shown in any segment of the LGBT community to further their cause.
I was at an event in San Francisco honoring the 40th anniversary of the Bay Area Reporter, the premier gay newspaper in the region. It ranks historically as one of the major communication vehicles for gay rights in the city and consequently in the nation. I was sitting with some 20 somethings and they did not have a clue what the B.A.R. was all about. I do expect some ignorance with people their age on some of these iconic gay figures and media. However, to be completely clueless did saddened me. They did know a lot about the Kardashians, Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. I guess that is gay to some degree.
They also grew up during a different time. However, their political activism has to still be very present even within the new norm. We all have to be engaged.
One day a kiss between two men or two women will not even deserve a blink.
- Facebook apologises for removing gay kiss photo (therainbowpost.com)
- Facebook removes gay kiss photo for ‘being sexually suggestive’ (pinkbananaworld.com)
- The Kings of Leon and Glee Creator Ryan Murphy Kiss and Make Up – For Real This Time (eonline.com)
- Facebook removes photo of two gay men kissing, then after uproar apologizes and restores image (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Facebook Deletes Gay Kiss Pic, The World Responds With Even More Gay Smooches! (perezhilton.com)
- A kiss is just a kiss – unless it’s in this London pub – Sydney Morning Herald (news.google.com)
- Facebook removes gay kiss photo for ‘being sexually suggestive’ (therainbowpost.com)
- It started with a kiss: Gay protests in your Facebook (thepunch.com.au)
- Outrage in London as Gay Couple are Ejected from Pub for Kiss: Supporters Plan Massive Kiss-In Tonight (towleroad.com)
- Richard Metzger: How I, a married, middle-aged man, became an accidental spokesperson for gay rights overnight (boingboing.net)