Olympian, R.J. Blas advanced out of an Olympics round. This is the first time in Guam’s 24 year history with the Olympics that any of its athletes has been able to advance out of a round.
He won his round against the champion from Guinea ( population 10.8 million people) compared to Guam’s 150,000.
Known as “Little Mountain” for his 481 lb frame , Blas did lose his next round but still has led the way by breaking the glass ceiling for the Guam athletes. He stated, “I let it all out. I left everything I had out there,” he said afterward. “I have no regrets.” – Pacific Daily News
- Liberation Day – A Celebration of My Heroes (tasithoughts.com)
- Guam Olympian Pilar Shimizu Sets Personal Best In 100 M Breastroke (tasithoughts.com)
- Guam Olympian Chris Duenas (tasithoughts.com)
- Cuban judoka beats man 243 lbs. heavier (stltoday.com)
- Guam Olympic Team Brings Island Spirit to the London Games (tasithoughts.com)
- Ricardo Blas Jr – Heaviest Olympic Judo Competitor In History (femaleimagination.wordpress.com)
- Weighing in (cnsnews.com)
- What Olympic Body Type Are You?: DNews Nugget (news.discovery.com)
- Coffman Engineers buys one-third interest in Guam-based AmOrient Engineering (bizjournals.com)
- Hinanao ham para Guam – Ontario, CA (travelpod.com)